Sunday, October 11, 2009

My Grandmother the Artist

Today is my grandmother's birthday. 

She died several years ago, but I still remember her clearly.  And the older I get, the more extraordinary she becomes.  Do you have someone in your past like that? 

She raised three children practically alone despite being married.

She did without more times than I'm sure she would admit to.  

She wrote to my father every single day he was away at war; that was 735 letters.

When she was older, she took herself to Hawaii -- alone, because it had been her dream and she couldn't find anyone to go along with her, despite being married. 

And she was an artist.  An artist who persisted without much encouragement.  I think my father was the only one who valued her work, when I was a child, at least.  Here is an example of her work, I think she'd like it if I showed it to whomever might be interested:





Of course, it's much better in person, but you get the idea.

I took my grandmother for granted when I knew her.  I was a child and, while she was certainly pleasant to me, she was not really a "kid person." 

Being a grown woman now, I finally have a full appreciation for the woman she was - extraordinary.





8 comments:

Chasing Purple Dreams said...

I’m so glad you shared your Grandmothers painting. It is beautiful, one thought I enjoy about being an artist is that after I am gone my art will still be hanging around. Just a little touch of immortality! Even better if I have a blogging grandchild who decides to share my work with the world. I am sure your Grandmother would be thrilled you have put some of her work out there for others to enjoy.

Weza said...

I feel the same way about my nanna. She was a trooper. She worked so hard and raised three amazing boys on her own. My respect for Nanna grows as i get older. She was incredible.

Unknown said...

Your grandmother was truely a strong and talented woman! I love the painting, btw.

Unknown said...

Oops, looks like I'm logged in under Kensie's account! LOL!

Di in Indiana said...

Renee', it is lovely that you have such a fondness for your grandmother. Her painting is beautiful and I'm sure you treasure it. One of my grandmothers died when I was very young, so my memories of her are almost non-existent. My other grandmother passed when I was 18. We didn't live very close to her and I didn't spend much time with her, so I wasn't very close to her either. I'm hoping that my grandchildren will have fond memories of me, like you have of your dear grandmother. Thanks for sharing.

Bobo Bun said...

Great that you're celebrating your grandma here. She sounds an interesting and strong woman.

There are people in my life too that I wish I'd known once I was an adult so I could have known them better.

Keep in touch won't you. Look forward to out chats.

Lisa x

ilibili's kitchen said...

Dear Renee, It is so nice to remember the grandma, she is a very nice person in anychild mind, She and grandpa are here to spoil rotten.... My grandma was no exception. As a child she always find some nice trick or funy things to do, not as my mother, her daughter, serios and very strict....
She also passed away, few years ago, almost 100... few month less... aglaia cleopatra topi, is her full name, Ileana thanking you for remembering my grandma.

Anonymous said...

It's beautiful and what a great tribute to her this post is. I'm sure she would be honored.
pk @ room remix

Related Posts with Thumbnails