Thursday, September 3, 2009

Written Punishment, Verbal Apology

 
I'm such a meanie.

And I hate it.

But what to do?  I have a kid who only learns by the meanie method.

Bummer.

My daughter has not seen fit to listen for her carpool number for four days now.  Each day, someone has had to go retrieve her, while I wait in the dreaded "waiting lot."  That's quite a few people inconvenienced just because a certain six year old isn't paying attention.   

I started out nicely reassuring her that she would hear it the next day, "Don't worry,"  I said.

Nope.  

After the second time, I told her to listen harder; if her brother could hear it, so could she.

Nope.

After the third time, I told her she had better hear that number if she didn't want to be left there.  Judging by the tone in which I said it, perhaps staying at school didn't seem all that bad of a proposition.

Nope.  Missed again.

So today she is in real trouble.  Harsh tones and punishments.

Right now, my daughter sits at the kitchen table, under duress, writing letters of apology to the carpool team at school.  At the rate she prints, she may be there until bedtime.

Such a meanie I am, but this is what my daughter requires in order to apply herself.   

Why must some kids learn the hard way?

Don't they realize how hard it is on their parents?

No, I know they don't.

I should know, I was just like this when I was her age.

I have to go call my mother now . . . and apologize.

8 comments:

tdjunkie said...

Who ever knew that our parents knew so much. I guess I have a phone call to make, too :)

Becky said...

After a particularly disrespectful outbreak, I had DD write, too. Instead of "I won't say bad things to my Mom" kind of lines, I had her write "I will speak kind words to my Mom". I really wanted it written many times over, but at that age, I think I settled for maybe 10 lines. I also think I called my mom after that. Funny how it works! Then there was the time DD said "I'm going to tell your mom on you", so I dialed her up. Ah, the moments of motherhood!

LemonyRenee' said...

td -- I know I do.

Becky -- LOL about dialing your mom up. I bet the look on her face was priceless. I like to surprise my kids in ways like that, too. I tell them, "I embrace my meanness, for your own good." They, at this age, have no idea what that means, but when they have kids their age, I'll look like a genius-martyr. I can hear the apologetic phone rings now. (insert: evil mommy laugh).

Di in Indiana said...

Renee', you are such a good disciplinarian!! I wish I had been more like you while raising my girls. Please let us know if she hears her carpool number today ;-)

LemonyRenee' said...

Di -- Apparently, your daughters must not have needed it. Not much getting around it if it's needed. I'll bet your daughters are lovely.

LemonyRenee' said...

Yeah, she heard it. You'd think that would make me happy, but, really WHY must it take a pint of blood, 90 gray hairs, and a year off my life first???

Becky said...

Because, Grasshopper, that's the way it works :-)!

PS- The call to my Mom was priceless: DD-"Do you know what your daughter did?" and on and on. I don't remember what I did that my daughter needed to tell my mom on me, but Mom enjoyed every minute of the exchange. And, I didn't break out laughing. THAT would have made things worse :-)!

Anonymous said...

What i do not realize is in truth how you're no longer really a lot more smartly-liked than you may be right now. You're very intelligent.

You understand thus considerably with regards to this matter,
made me for my part believe it from numerous numerous angles.
Its like women and men don't seem to be interested except it's something to
accomplish with Girl gaga! Your own stuffs excellent.

Always care for it up!

my web site: payday laon

Related Posts with Thumbnails