Thursday, January 27, 2011

Snow and Bananas



It's snowing . . . and the old man is snoring . . . or something like that.

We have 10" of snow on the ground this morning.

Everyone is at work, no one is at school, and it looks like a Christmas card outside.

There's nothing better on a day like this than baking and warming up the house with the smell of bread and cookies and whatever else I can scrape together the ingredients for.

Here's what I just popped in the oven -- the best banana bread, ever, and it's whole wheat!



Whole Wheat Banana Date Bread

2 1/2 c. whole wheat flour
1 1/2 c. mashed very ripe bananas (about 4)
1 c. packed brown sugar
1 c. chopped dates
2/3 c. plain (or vanilla) nonfat yogurt
2 eggs
1/3 c. canola oil (or applesauce if you really want to be *good*)
1 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. salt
1 tsp. vanilla

Mix it all up however you want and put it in 2 greased loaf pans (1 if you have a 9 x 5 x 3 pan).

Bake at 350* until a toothpick comes out of the center clean, which, in my oven, is approx. 1 hour.

Cool 5 minutes on a wire rack and then invert to de-pan, if you desire.


You're welcome!



11 comments:

Jim said...

You know what 'they' say: Great minds think alike, but fools seldom differ!! lol

Your banana bread looks SO good I think I'll have to 'borrow' it!

The Quintessential Magpie said...

Oh, YUM! Guaranteed to start the day off right!

XO,

Sheila :-)

Bobbie said...

Okay, everyone is posting either banana bread or cake today. And I'm getting hungry.
This banana bread looks wonderful! I've got to remember to print out this recipe. Thanks for sharing. Enjoy.

fromsophiesview said...

Time to go devour some banana bread...Hey Guys...look into my eyes...you can't resist me can you~~~~~~!
PS...I have a stylist...click and seemy comment to you

Gail said...

Opposite to snowing here... but plenty of room for banana bread!

Tricia said...

Looks yummy! I'm stuck home sick today and I have 4 very over-ripe bananas - so maybe I'll go try out your recipe! Lovely post!

Debra said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Debra said...

Ooooh, I never thought of adding dates to banana bread. I will definitely give it a try. Thanks for posting the recipe.

Unknown said...

I just made two loaves on Sunday. It is either feast or famine with bananas. They are either too ripe and not enough of them or enough of them but unripe. I hit the jackpot with six ripe (over ripe) bananas. This recipe sounds delish, I love that it uses whole wheat. thanks for sharing.

Tricia said...

Made the banana bread! It was great! And we are buried in snow today! I'd love to go out cross-country skiing, but I've got the flu bug. :( Happy Saturday!

Blessings,
Tricia

Kelly A. Harmon said...

It looks delicious!

Snowing again this morning here...we're headed out to go sleigh riding.

Keep warm.

Related Posts with Thumbnails