Saturday, January 29, 2011

Happy Campers


It is a white, frosty Saturday morning here, and my whole brood is snug inside and all is right in the Lemony Renee' world . . .

The puppy is dragging around his toy rubber chicken; a Christmas gift. He is systematically chewing the toes off and having so much fun doing it.  A little ghoulish, but he's happy. 

Lester is sitting here on my monitor, all puffed up and content.   I love this little bird; she brings me peaceful companionship and all she asks in return is that I let her sit on my head every now and then.


And my husband and my son are where I left them last night . . . on the floor of the family room, sleeping bags spread out in front of the fire . . . this is their version of winter camping.  They cook convenience foods over the open fire of the fireplace and do decidedly "guy things" all evening, night, and the next morning.  Last night, I believe there was a late-night sledding adventure, a nature walk, and home to another log on the fire and a first lesson in poker.  Ten hours later, the poker continues (I suspect they slept at some point, but I can't be sure)  and my son just came streaking through here proclaiming that he just got a straight . . . hair still all askew and wearing his "happy camper" t-shirt, he was quite a sight.


These are the best of days. 

I think I'll pour another cup of coffee and have a bit of that banana bread for breakfast.

I wish you a contented Saturday . . .



9 comments:

The Quintessential Magpie said...

Glad you all are having a wonderful time! I'm about to travel AGAIN. Going to a milestone birthday for one of my oldest friends. I wish I didn't have to drive so far. I could definitely be curled up in front of a fire, roasting marshmallows with a bird on my head and a puppy in my lap!

XO,

Sheila :-)

Bobbie said...

Wow!! What an awesome dad! You all are wonderful parents... I loved hearing about this camping adventure. If more parents would take the time to do special things like this with their children, I believe kids would be less likely to be 'looking for love in all the wrong places' if you know what I mean.

Andrea said...

I like the winter camping idea! Just might be my way of camping..I like to be close to a potty! Not much of a tent camper...I know, I am a wimp!
Blessings,
andrea

Buttercup said...

Great day! I've spent a cozy morning inside, too. I finished a book I was reading, perused parts of the Times and had a big bowl of cheerios. No phone, no television and now, blog visits. Will get out in the sunny day soon, but love the quiet of the day.

Knitty said...

That is my kind of camping! That or roughing it in a 5 star hotel. ;-)

Your guys are making some wonderful memories. Mine are too. Hubby is helping our oldest son build walls in his basement. It makes my heart happy to know this. Especially since I don't have to carry drywall or tape seams!

Lesley said...

It's wonderful to know that you are so happy again. You sound so contented. Whatever difficult (almost impossible) decisions you had to make last year you must know that you did what was best for ALL your family. Blessings

Unknown said...

Renee, sounds so wonderful, enjoy your day! It is snowing here, and I think it is a good day to bake some bread. Hugs...

Jim said...

So good to hear how well things are going! That 'camp out' sounds like a lot of fun! and the bird?! I missed that post. Looks like a Mourning Dove? On your monitor? Got me thinking Renee.....

Keri said...

LR.. You're SO WISE..a great reminder to take a look around, drink it all in and appreciate these moments in time. The years go by faster than you can say flat screen TV! and the good stuff is easy to miss. Keri

Related Posts with Thumbnails